- Does Keplr support Ledger Nano hardware wallets?
Yes, please follow this tutorial to link your Ledger device with your Keplr account.
- Can I merge 2 accounts?
Not quite. You can import multiple accounts into one interface and you can transfer assets over to a single account manually, but there is no direct "merge" feature.
- Can I share a Ledger with someone and we stake in separate accounts?
You can only have one mnemonic per Ledger, but you can change the HD derivation path to create different addresses from the same mnemonic. This means that you would share the mnemonic with that other person.
- What is the HD Wallet Derivation Path?
The HD wallet derivation path, or hierarchical deterministic wallet derivation path, is a way to derive multiple accounts from the same mnemonic seed. It is based on the BIP44 standard, and allows you to theoretically create millions of addresses from the same mnemonic.
- Can I set a custom account derivation path when creating an account?
Yes, please follow the step-by-step tutorial.
- I don't know my key path. How do I find it?
At the moment, we don't have the feature to show multiple derivation paths upon import. You can try importing to Cosmostation (the mobile application). When you import the mnemonic into Cosmostation, it will bring up multiple addresses and from there you can try to narrow down the correct one.
- How do I manually update my Keplr extension?
In most cases, Chrome automatically updates your browser extensions. However, if your Keplr extension is not automatically upgrading, please follow the instructions below:
1. Go to chrome://extensions
2. Turn on 'Developer mode' (Top right corner)
3. Click on 'Update'
- Is Keplr the same thing for Cosmos as Metamask is for Ethereum? Can I store any token that is part of the Cosmos Network on Keplr?
Short answer is no. This is not possible because in the Cosmos Network there is no standard that unites all chains. It is therefore possible to store only supported tokens on Keplr. However, chains can use the experimental 'Suggest Chain' feature to connect their own web interface to Keplr and request signing from Keplr.
- Do the blockchains that are part of the Cosmos Network, developed with Cosmos-SDK, have a token standard like Ethereum has (ERC-20)?
No, since all the chains that are part of the Cosmos Network are independent of each other, there is no shared standard as of yet. However, chains can adopt an internal standard within their own ecosystem, as Secret Network did with the SNIP20 token standard.
Privacy & Security
⚠️ We will never contact you asking for your seed/mnemonic phrase. Beware of scammers.
- What is the mnemonic/seed phrase and why is it so important?
Mnemonic phrase, mnemonic seed, or seed phrase are defined as a secret group of words that represent a wallet and, when used in sequence, they allow access to the cryptocurrencies stored within.
When creating a new account on Keplr (unless you are using Keplr+Ledger), a mnemonic phrase will be created.
Note: If you created a Keplr account using Google Login, the mnemonic will not be shown. As long as you log in from the same Google account, the same account will be opened. However, you may view your private key if you'd like to still manage your own private key.
This set of words is the only way you have to recover access to your wallet in case for any reason you lose access to the device where you installed Keplr or forget your password. There is no other way to recover an account than by using the mnemonic phrase, so remember to write it down on paper and store it in a safe place.
💡 Some tips to keep your mnemonic safe:
- Download your extension here.
- DO NOT share your seed phrase with anyone.
- DO NOT share screenshots of the seed phrase.
- Before linking Keplr with an external site, always pay attention that the webpage is the original webpage operated by a reputable source. Verify that the details of the transaction you're signing matches the transaction that was shown on the webpage.
- How does Keplr store my private key?
We don’t store your private key/mnemonic seed for you. You store your own private key which is encrypted with your Keplr password locally within your device. As for Ledger hardware wallets, your private key is stored locally within the hardware wallet. Keplr sends over the unsigned transaction to Ledger, which the Ledger signs after the user verifies the transaction details, and Keplr receives the signed transaction. As for Google logins, we use Torus which securely generates a private key using DKG technology. That private key is encrypted and stored locally on your device.
Note: Torus generates a hex-formatted private key for the account, rather than a 12/24 word mnemonic.
- Does each supported blockchain/network have its own unique mnemonic seed phrase?
No, Keplr uses a single mnemonic/seed phrase to generate addresses for all supported networks. Find out how to export the mnemonic following the Step-by-Step Tutorial made available on the Chainapsis Blog, section
- Can I import the same mnemonic/seed phrase to many different wallets?
Yes, but this would greatly increase the risks associated with mnemonic phrase exposure so it is recommended that this option be used carefully.
- Can I import multiple mnemonics to Keplr?
Yes, this is possible. Here is a tutorial to do this from within your Keplr wallet.
- I can't remember my Keplr password, how can I reset it?
Uninstall and then re-install Keplr Browser extension.
• Standard Procedure: Choose the option [Import Existing Account] to have access to your account via Mnemonic/ Seed Phrase and then choose a new password for your Keplr Wallet.
• Ledger Nano Hardware wallets: [Choose Import Ledger] and choose a new password
• Sign in with Google: [Sign in with Google] and then choose the account that you previously used to create your account on Keplr.
- I can't find my private key anywhere - how do I view it?
There are legacy Keplr accounts made in 2020 that were created before the private key / mnemonic feature was introduced - if you have one of those accounts, then unfortunately there's no way to see it.
For everyone else, click on the [Account icon] -> then the [three dots] next to the account you wish to view -> [View Mnemonic Seed] -> enter password.
- I'm locked out of my Apple account because I don't have a password - what do I do?
First, uninstall Keplr completely, and when you reinstall, create a new account via mnemonic seed phrase. You will be prompted to create a password here. Then, add your Apple account and you will be able to use the same password across accounts.
#merge accounts #what is a derivation path #how to reset password #forgot password #change password